Trout Paintings

Friday, November 28, 2014

Jefferson Park Cont.

Here are a couple more paintings from my backpacking trip to Mt Jefferson, this place offers an endless subject matter for a the landscape artist or photographer, and I will probably continue to do paintings based on my sketches and photos throughout the winter painting season.
This first one is a loose study of Scout lake, most likely done while drinking a beer and having kids yelling in my ear resulting in a pretty messy foreground but it helps focus attention on the mountain.


This second one is a painting of Mt Jefferson from Russell lake, our camp was in the patch of trees in the center of the painting.  I tried to capture the quality of light as sun was beginning to set in the west. A wash of raw sienna in the trees, lake and distant mountains creates a subtle glow of sunlight from the right and the scene gradually gets darker with washes of Ultra Marine blue  mixed with some burnt umber and a touches of alizarin crimson and hookers green.  I don't generally like sunset paintings but this one is subtle enough I think it came out pretty good.


thanks for looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment